Who is responsible for building and maintaining roads in Hanover?

All Hanover County public roads and bridges (outside of the Town of Ashland) are operated and maintained by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). VDOT also maintains roadside ditches, performs snow removal functions and builds new roads with money allocated by the Commonwealth Transportation Board.

On VDOT’s Work Request page, you can submit a request to have a road repaired, to remove something from a road, to have signs or traffic devices repaired, to request new signs or traffic devices, to submit a claim or to ask for more information. This page can also be used to submit snow plowing-related complaints.

You can call VDOT’s Customer Service Center at 800-367-7623 around the clock. TTY users can call 711.

If you have a unique road or drainage problem or other questions and need help determining the appropriate agency contact, you can call the Hanover County Department of Public Works at 804-365-6181 and they will help you.

VDOT’s Work Request Page

Show All Answers

1. Does the County government have a plan to help the broadband situation in Hanover?
2. When will the work on Sliding Hill Road be completed?
3. How can I find out about the widening of Pole Green Road?
4. What’s the big new building on Pole Green Road at the I-295 interchange?
5. What’s the status of improvements to cell phone coverage in the area affected by the New Highland Baptist Church tower fire?
6. Why are Hanover County personal property tax, real estate tax and Public Utilities bills now showing an out-of-state return address?
7. Who is responsible for building and maintaining roads in Hanover?
8. Has Hanover discouraged or prevented Verizon from offering Fios services in Hanover County?