Show All Answers
For additional information concerning when a permit is required please contact our office at 804-365-6040. View our various forms and applications for building by viewing documents of the Building Inspector's Office.
Engineers, architects, contractors, or subcontractors must be licensed to practice in Virginia. If you are not a licensed contractor you need to submit the Contractor Licensure Exemption Affidavit (PDF).
You can discover additional information from the Virginia State Police
Submit the following in person to the Hanover County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office:
- Completed SP-248 (7-1-2017) application for concealed handgun permit. You can complete the application at the clerk’s office
- Present one valid form of photo identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the U.S. Department of Defense or the U.S. Department of State (passport)- Proof of handgun competency- Check, money order or credit card (VISA or MasterCard) payment of $50 application fee. Checks and money orders should be made payable to Hanover County Circuit Court Clerk- Self-addressed envelope for use in mailing your permit
- The process is the same except you may mail the completed application to the clerk’s office together with a photocopy of your valid identification
- You do not need to provide proof of handgun competency- We request that you attach a copy of your current permit to your renewal application
- Check, money order or credit card (VISA or MasterCard) payment of $50 renewal application fee. Checks and money orders should be made payable to Hanover County Circuit Court Clerk
- Self-addressed envelope for use in mailing your permit
By mail:Hanover County Circuit Court ClerkAttention: Civil DivisionP.O. Box 39Hanover, VA 23069
In person:Hanover CourthouseCircuit Court Clerk’s Office2nd Floor7530 County Complex RoadHanover, VA 23069Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.Monday - Friday
You can obtain it by visiting: Circuit Court Clerk’s Office Circuit Courthouse 2nd Floor 7530 County Complex Road Hanover, Virginia 23069 Or online by visiting the
Requirements can be found on the Virginia State Police
- The application posted on the State Police’s website has red and black lettering. Make sure your printer prints red lettering in red or black. The clerk’s office cannot accept a partially printed application that omits wording. - Do not leave any blanks - Question 4: State your height in feet and inches before listing your weight - Question 6: State the City, State and Nation of your birth, plus your Country of Citizenship
- The clerk’s office processes the application and fee- Sheriff’s department conducts a criminal background check and sends the results to the clerk’s office- The court or clerk’s office has 45 days to act on your application- The permit or notice of denial is mailed to you in the envelope submitted with your application or to the mailing address shown on the application- The Virginia State Police are notified when the permit is issued
- Present to the clerk’s office State Police Form SP-248A that may be downloaded and printed from the State Police website at www.vsp.virginia.gov/FormsPublications.shtm.
- Check, money order or credit card (VISA or MasterCard) payment of $10 for issuance of the revised permit. Checks and money orders should be made payable to Hanover County Circuit Court Clerk
- Sign a sworn statement at the clerk’s office stating that a new permit is needed.
- Check, money order or credit card (VISA or MasterCard) payment of $10 for issuance of the replacement permit. Checks and money orders should be made payable to Hanover County Circuit Court Clerk
The clerk’s office will provide notice in writing upon denial of the application of your right to a court hearing and the requirements for perfecting an appeal. Information on appeals can be found in Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.08.
Each attorney, staff member, or governmental employee must complete the OCRA Application and Subscriber Agreement (PDF).
If you do not know which department is the owner of the records in which you are interested, contact the County Administrator's Office at 804-365-6005, or click the Freedom of Information Act link on the County Administrator's webpage.
Pole Green Community Center is open Monday and Tuesday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Also, a few systems have plastic filters permitted by the Virginia Department of Health. These systems are also not required to pump-out every 5 years because they routinely require more frequent maintenance. If you have an approved plastic filter, you may submit evidence and request being removed from the program. The Virginia Department of Health does not have a list of systems with approved plastic filters. Regular pumping and maintenance will save you money and protect the environment.
Plastic filters require regular maintenance to keep them from clogging and backing sewage into your home. Routine maintenance typically includes the removal and proper disposal of non-biodegradable solids from the filter and then hosing down the filter over your septic tank to return the filtered solids to the tank for additional treatment. While not mandatory, the Virginia Department of Health still recommends that systems with plastic filters pump have their septic tanks pumped regularly to maintain peak system performance and extend the life of your drainfield.