Visit www.HanoverVolunteers.org to view an array of volunteer opportunities within county departments and throughout the Greater Richmond area. Here are just a few local opportunities…Hanover County-"Give A Day RVA" Service Projects
Hanover County government, along with 8 other municipalities, is participating in HandsOn Greater Richmond's regional day of service on September 23rd. Join us at one of two host sites in Hanover seeking volunteer support to beautify their service locations. "Plant Possibilities" https://www.handsonrva.org/opportunity/a0CA000000ooiDOMAY
will enhance the entrance area and grounds of the Hanover Day Health and Rehab Program for persons with disabilities. "Curb Appeal" https://www.handsonrva.org/opportunity/a0CA000000ooiCpMAI
will assist the Hanover Fire EMS Training Center to create a gravel parking area and beautify the plantings around the flag pole. After the projects are done, volunteers across the region will convene at the Street Art Festival at the Diamond to enjoy food, music and art, as well as savor the satisfaction of making a difference in our community.
for all the details.Hanover County- CASA Volunteer
The Hanover Court Appointed Special Advocate Program is now accepting applications for volunteers. Daytime trainings will begin September 26th. The program trains and supervises volunteers to advocate for the best interest of abused and neglected children involved in the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court process. No special experience is required- just a desire to advocate for children within our community. Extensive preparation is provided through a 37 hour training program. Volunteers are appointed by the juvenile court judge. Volunteers spend an average of 10-15hrs per month on an assigned case. Ongoing supervision and training is provided by the CASA Program Coordinator. Application Deadline is September 8th. Contact 365-4300 for more information. Hanover County- Phone Greeter Hanover County seeks volunteers to assist in answering main county phone line and directing citizens to the proper department. Week days and shifts are flexible. For more information contact Lisa Adkins at 804-365-4302 or email email@example.com Hanover County- Lunch Buddy-Parks and Recreation
Volunteers are needed to help adults with disabilities enjoy lunch at Estes Dining Hall on the campus of Randolph Macon College as part of the Community Connection Club which meets monthly. Volunteers can choose the months they wish tol help participants navigate through the serving line, help them carry food tray, as well as engage in appropriate conversation. For more information contact Devin Brown at 804-779-3117 or register at https://www.handsonrva.org/opportunity/a0CA000000oicauMAACommunity: Hanover Safe PlaceHanover Safe Place announces it's fall Volunteer Training! This training is for adults interested in conducting outreach activities and/or working with clients. The training will start on Tuesday, September 5th from 6-9pm and will continue every Tuesday and Wednesday evening through September 27th. Anyone interested in learning more, please contact Patty Hall at 804-752-2728 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.Community: Hanover Senior Rides
- Volunteer Driver
This program provides limited transportation to residents over 60 or persons with disabilities who do not have the resources to obtain their own transportation to doctors or other daily activities such as grocery shopping. Volunteer drivers are well screened and trained. They may select the schedules (individual rides) that they drive. Volunteers use their own vehicles but insurance coverage is provided. To volunteer to transport residents of Mechanicsville Area call 804-357-9360; to volunteer to transport in Ashland area call 804-543-6115.
- The Alzheimer's Association of Greater Richmond offers FREE programs and support to the community that include; 24/7 helpline, care consultation, community education & caregiver training, support groups, safety programs, and trial match information. Contact 800-272-3900 or the local office at 804-967-2580, 4600 Cox Road Suite 130 Glen Allen, VA. Find more information at www.alz.org/grva .
- For the 27th year, Senior Connections, The Capital Area Agency on Aging is helping older adults combat summer heat through their “Senior Cool Care Program.” The program is open to low income older adults age 60 and older who reside in the City of Richmond and the Counties of Charles City, Chesterfield, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, New Kent and Powhatan. Applicants may be eligible for a fan or a/c window unit. The program is funded and supported by Dominion Energy and the Virginia Department for Aging and Rehabilitative Services (DARS). Applicants are encouraged to call 804- 343-3005 to leave their name, address and phone number. A Senior Connections representative will return the call. The program will end on Friday, September 29th.
Support for Parents of Young Children
- In-home parent education and support is available to pregnant woman or new mothers with children up to 5 years old who live in Hanover County. This service is provided in the family’s own home at no cost to parents and is designed to offer education related to promoting a healthy pregnancy, positive parenting skills, child development activities and knowledge of child developmental stages. The program also assists families to connect with various community resources in order to address the needs of parents and children during the stages of early childhood. The Parents As Teachers program is a partnership of Hanover County and Family Lifeline. For more information or to make a referral contact Family Lifeline at 804-249-5414.
- The Hanover-Ashland Triad invites the public to learn information on preparing for, responding to, and dealing with security concerns for places of worship. These same approaches can be used in the workplace, home or other public settings. Presenter: Rick Arrington, a Virginia Certified Crime Specialist and author; Date: September 14th; Time: 1:30PM; Location: First Baptist Church, 800 Thompson St., Ashland, VA . Registration is not required. For more info. contact Nancy Boyer at 804-304-3118.
Hanover Human Services Network Meeting
- Hanover Habitat for Humanity Home Repair Blitz is a day dedicated to completing exterior repairs on multiple homes in one neighborhood. The next Repair Blitz is September 30, 2017. Instead of building a new house, the goal will be repairing an occupied home. Projects will include repairs to wheelchairs ramps, rails and porches, outside painting, minor outside siding and door repairs, safety improvements, landscaping and outdoor clean-up. The Habitat Home Repair Program aims to extend the work of Hanover Habitat into the neighborhoods where they build - and deliver critical home repairs to improve health, safety and well-being of residents in Ashland, around the streets of S.Taylor, and Randolph St. Volunteer Team leaders are needed. Team Leaders must have a basic knowledge and understanding of construction. If interested, email Amanda Gunter at email@example.com
- All human service organizations, including governmental, faith-based, non-profit and civic clubs which serve the Hanover community are invited to take part in this quarterly collaborative roundtable. Program representatives will have an opportunity to network with one another, present information about their programs, identify common issues and develop solutions.
(Remember to bring service brochures, program or event flyers and business cards to share). Date: October 5th, Time: 3:00 to 5:00PM; Location: at the Human Services Complex Meeting Room, 12310 Washington Highway, Ashland, VA. 23005. Registration is required. RSVP to Lisa Adkins at 804-365-4302 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Hanover Senior Law Day
- Hanover Council on Aging is partnering with Senior Connections and Williams Mullen again this year to provide free preparation of Wills, Powers of Attorney and Advanced Directives for persons over 55 or those with a disability who are unable to obtain this assistance. Appointments are limited to 16 persons served. All participates must complete and submit preliminary documents to Senior Connections in order for paperwork to be prepared prior to the event date on October 17, 2017 . To qualify, monthly income limits are $2,792 for single person living alone and $3,782 for a couple. Participants will be notified of the exact appointment time and location in Mechanicsville area. (1 hour appointments will be scheduled from 1-3pm). Deadline to register is October 7th or until slots are full. Interested parties must contact Pat Giesen with Senior Connections at 343-3059 or email email@example.com for registration forms.
Step Up for Down Syndrome 5k & Family Festival
- Be a part of a heart-warming 5K run/advocacy walk (chip-timing available) and family festival showcasing and celebrating the many abilities and accomplishments of individuals with Down syndrome in the Greater Richmond, Charlottesville, Williamsburg & Central Virginia community! Meet special guest, International Super Model Madeline Stuart from Brisbane, Australia! (www.madelinestuartmodel.com) Enjoy lots of FREE family activities, live music, fashion show featuring individuals with Down syndrome, pumpkin patch & scarecrow building area, sponsor & exhibitor displays and more! Breakfast & lunch food items will be available for purchase. Date: October 14th; Time: 8:30AM to 1:00PM ; Location: 1712 Bellevue Ave. Richmond, VA 23227. Register to run, walk, raise funds or volunteer at www.dsagr.org.
Hanover Sheriff's Fall Fellowship Festival
- This event is designed to provide local faith-based, non-profit and community organizations an opportunity to highlight their ministries, services and community engagement opportunities. Date: October 21st ; Time: 10AM to 3PM ; Location: Hanover County Government Complex, 7522 County Complex Road, Hanover. The public is invited to enjoy great food, games, and activities for all ages. Music is provided by the E.J. Wade Foundation. To learn more about registering your ministry or service organization contact Lisa Hancock at 804-365-6112 or email firstname.lastname@example.org