School Traffic Advisory
A message from HANOVER COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Dear Families and Community Members,
As the school year begins, please see the below traffic safety message from our partners at the Hanover County Sheriff’s Office.
As a reminder, there will be heavier than normal traffic in our school zones due to an increase in individual student drop-offs and pickups and new traffic patterns at several of our schools. We ask that you please adhere to your assigned times provided by your student’s school to help limit congestion.
We expect traffic to be heaviest in our school zones prior to, during, and immediately after the following times:
We encourage our broader community to plan ahead and expect delays during these times.
- Elementary schools: 7:30 a.m. to 8:10 a.m. and 2:15 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
- Secondary schools: 8:45 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Please consider taking an alternate route to avoid these areas if possible. Thank you.
From the Hanover County Sheriff’s Office:
As the school year begins, and throughout the year, the Sheriff’s Office will maintain high visibility to ensure the safety of children being transported to and from school.
With school buses, motorists, pedestrians, crossing guards, and cyclists added to the daily commute, motorists are reminded to be alert and slow down
to ensure a safe start to the school year. Deputies will be actively enforcing all laws pertaining to school zone and bus safety.
Quick Safety Tips:
- School zone speed limits are reduced when the yellow lights are flashing.
- Flashing yellow lights indicate that the bus is preparing to stop to load or unload children. Motorists should slow down and prepare to stop their vehicles.
- Flashing red lights and extended stop arms indicate that the bus has stopped and that children are getting on or off. Motorists must stop their cars and wait until the red lights stop flashing, the extended stop sign is withdrawn, and the bus begins moving. However, drivers are not required to stop when the roadway of the driver and the school bus are divided by a physical barrier or an unpaved area.
Please consult with the individual schools for the new staggered drop-off and pickup procedures
. It is expected the new procedures will create a higher volume of traffic. In addition, traffic patterns at the schools will be different this year, which will further impact traffic. Especially during the first couple of weeks as everyone becomes accustomed to the new changes.Plan on additional time needed to get in and out of the school zones.
Other motorists may wish to make plans to take alternate routes and avoid the areas during these times.
Start and End Times
Elementary Schools: 8:10 a.m. to 2:15 p.m.
- Arrival times are staggered between 7:30 a.m. and 8:10 a.m.
- Departure times are staggered between 2:15 p.m. and 2:45 p.m.
Middle and High Schools: 9:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Arrival times are staggered between 8:45 a.m. and 9:15 a.m.
- Departure times are staggered between 3:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Please join us in our efforts to ensure this school year is safe for everyone.