News Flash

Hanover County Press Releases

Posted on: March 10, 2022

Board updated on universal broadband initiative

Last year Hanover County announced its “Connect Hanover” Broadband Initiative to provide high-speed internet services to virtually all unserved or underserved homes and businesses. On March 9, Information Technology Director Kevin Nelson updated the Board of Supervisors on the initiative, which is now only four months away from the start of construction.

“We remain on the timeline that the County Administrator (John A. Budesky) outlined for you last July,” Nelson said. By April 25, the County anticipates signing contracts with all necessary parties, including All Points Broadband, which will actually provide the fiber-to-the-home service. Among those contracts is with CenturyLink/Lumen, which will be required to provide high-speed internet service to 1037 currently unserved customers within its service area within three years.

Nelson told the Board that while the initiative is called “broadband”, it actually will provide high-speed internet, with minimum synchronized internet access speeds of 100/100 mbps.

About 6200 addresses will receive the internet service from All Points Broadband within three years of July 1, which is when grant funds become available to the County. If you are unserved or underserved and have not been counted, the place to register is https://fiber.allpointsbroadband.com. A phasing plan will determine the order in which areas are to be served.

Construction will begin in the fall of this year. The County’s partners in the project include All Points Broadband, Dominion Energy and Rappahannock Electric Cooperative.

For more information go here.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Hanover County Press Releases