The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will implement double-lane closures this week on I-95 south between Lewistown Road (mile marker 89) and E. Patrick Henry Road (mile marker 92) in Hanover County for extensive pavement repair work.
On Friday, February 25, crews noticed significant concrete pavement damage in the right and center lanes of I-95 in this location. For drivers’ safety, both lanes were immediately closed to allow crews to make emergency repairs. All lanes were reopened late Friday evening, however, upon further inspection crews have determined that an 11-inch depth of concrete must be removed and replaced for a permanent repair.
“We realize that these continued evening rush double-lane closures are inconvenient for drivers heading south into Richmond,” said Gary Jennings, Richmond District Interstate Maintenance Administrator. “The closures are in place for everyone’s safety, and our crews are working hard to complete permanent repairs quickly. We appreciate drivers’ patience this week, and assistance in sharing the word to use Routes 1 and 301 as alternate routes.”
The following 21-hour operations will be in place this week to allow crews to safely and quickly complete repairs:
- 9 a.m. Tuesday, March 1 – 6 a.m. Wednesday, March 2
- The right and center lanes will be closed at E. Patrick Henry Road (mile marker 92)
- 9 a.m. Wednesday, March 2 – 6 a.m. Thursday, March 3
- The right and center lanes will be closed at Lewistown Road (mile marker 89)
- 9 a.m. Thursday, March 3 – 6 a.m. Friday, March 4
- The left and center lanes will be closed at E. Patrick Henry Road (mile marker 92)
- 9 a.m. Monday, March 7 – 6 a.m. Tuesday, March 8
- The left and center lanes will be closed at Lewistown Road (mile marker 89)
Repairs are expected to impact evening rush hour on the above listed weekdays, and could cause significant backups on I-95 south. Closures are not anticipated to impact morning rush hour, however minor impacts may be observed.
Overhead message signs on I-95 south will alert drivers of the lane closures, starting in the Fredericksburg area. Drivers heading south towards Richmond are urged to use Route 1 and Route 301 as alternate routes to avoid delays.
Anyone with questions can call VDOT’s customer service center at 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623).
For the latest real-time traffic information or road conditions, call 511 or visit http://www.511virginia.org