Every year, Hanover County recognizes a number of its most outstanding volunteers at its “Spirit of Volunteerism” celebration. The 2017 celebration was held on May 16 at Hanover High School. Judges selected the following volunteers for a 2017 “Spirit of Volunteerism” award:
· Andrew Cunningham and Addison Raso shared the “Spirit of Youth” award.
· Alan Fearnow received the “Spirit of Dedication” award.
· Tommy and Jimmy Davis received the “Spirit of Family” award.
· The “Spirit of Team” award was shared by the Hanover Sheriff’s Office Motorist’s Assistance Team and the Regional Hospital Accompaniment Response Team (R-HART).
· There were two “Spirit of One” winners, Karen Altman of John Gandy Elementary School PTA and Susan Shearouse of Ashland Circles.
· Sgt. James C. Miles Jr. of the Hanover County Sheriff’s Office Reserve Deputy program, received the “Spirit of Inspiration” award.
· Chick-fil-A Mechanicsville received the “Commitment to Community” Award, which honors a Hanover business that exemplifies strong community values and a sustained commitment to supporting the community.
View Celebration and Recipients here.
Last year, volunteers in Hanover collectively contributed over 468,000 hours of service. That total reflects the reported work of over 25,000 volunteers. These hours of service are calculated to have had a value of over $12.2 million!
Board of Supervisors Chairman Angela Kelly-Wiecek welcomed attendees to the event and made opening remarks. Andrew Freiden, morning meteorologist and executive weather producer for WWBT-12, was the guest host for the event.
Mark Fero, a member of the Governor’s Advisory Board on Service and Chairman of the Virginia Service Foundation, delivered special remarks on behalf of the Governor’s Office and the Virginia Office of Volunteerism and Community Service. During the recent National Volunteer Week, Governor McAuliffe presented the 2017 "Virginia Volunteerism and Community Service" award, in the Small Business Category, to Pepicelli’s Pizza of Ashland. Tom and Lisa Checkosky and Pepicelli’s Pizza won the 2016 “Commitment to Community” award.