Do you know someone who is making a difference in our community? Hanover County is continuing its tradition of highlighting the contributions and dedication of local volunteers. We need your help to share their story! The deadline to nominate someone for a 2020 Spirit of Volunteerism Award nomination process is Monday, March 16.
These awards allow the community to acknowledge the work of our local “unsung heroes” Anyone may nominate inspiring individuals or groups of any age in one of eight categories:
- Spirit of One (honoring an individual over 18);
- Spirit of Youth (honoring a youth age 18 or younger or still in high school);
- Spirit of Dedication (honoring an individual aged 60 or over);
- Spirit of Team (honoring two or more adult volunteers working toward a common cause);
- Spirit of Family (honoring two or more family members working together toward a common purpose);
- Spirit of Inspiration (honoring an individual who has volunteered 20 years or more for a specific organization);
- Commitment to Community (recognizing a Hanover business which has demonstrated a sustained commitment to supporting the community);
- and Spirit of Youth –Team (honoring an exceptional group of youth/club whose members are 18 years or younger or still attending high school).
Award recipients will be announced at the Spirit of Volunteerism celebration on Tuesday, May 5 at 7 p.m. at Lee-Davis High School auditorium. All nominees will be recognized at the event and receive a nominee gift and a certificate from the Hanover County Board of Supervisors. The Celebration is free and open to the public. The goal of the celebration is to pay tribute to ALL volunteers within our community, as well as honor award nominees and announce the 2020 award recipients. Special plans are underway to help celebrate Hanover’s 300th birthday.
We are pleased to announce, in honor of Hanover’s 300th Birthday, each of our Award Category Sponsors will be honoring the category’s award recipient by making a financial donation in the amount of up to $300 to the nonprofit/government program, school or organization designated on the honoree’s nomination form. The Award recipient will also receive a plaque and the County will nominate the honorees for the statewide Governor’s Community Service and Volunteerism Awards at the end of the year.
The 2020 Spirit of Volunteerism Awards sponsors are: Ashland Wal-Mart, Copy Cat Printing, Inc., Covenant Woods, Grace Community Presbyterian Church, Virginia Credit Union, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative and Hanover Association of Businesses and Chamber of Commerce.
Nomination forms, on-line submission information and other details are available at www.hanovervolunteers.org or by contacting the Hanover County Department of Community Resources at (804) 365-4300.