Residential Customers

The Department of Public Utilities is rolling out a new customer information system on June 5, 2019. Click here for details regarding the changes.

The web portal will be unavailable until further notice.  To make a credit/debit card payment please call our automated phone system at (804) 365-6024

Residential Rates

 Residential rate schedule (PDF): Water and Sewer bills are sent bi-monthly and are based on usage measured in 1,000 gallon increments.

How do I view my water and sewer bill?

Visit the Hanover County Public Utilities bill pay portal.

Paying Water & Sewer Bill

There are many ways to pay your water and sewer bills.

How can I receive my bill by email instead of mail?

Email enrollment of your utility bill is unavailable at this time for new registrations.  Please check back after June 5th and this service will be available with our new customer portal.

Who can I contact to get help understanding how my bill was calculated?

Call 804-365-6024.

Who do I contact to set up, transfer or turn off my water and sewer service?

Call 804-365-6024.

How do I request a credit if there has been a water leak in my home?

To be considered for a leak credit, complete a leak report (PDF) and send it to Public Utilities or submit your leak report electronically using our online leak report form. 

How do I find out what the flushing signs mean in my neighborhood?

A flushing sign means our crews will be cleaning the water lines in the area. The sign includes the dates we will be working in your neighborhood. Call Public Utilities at 804-365-6024 if you have questions.

How do I find out what a backflow preventer is and if I need one?

Backflow preventers are devices on your water line that prevent water from moving backwards, preventing possible contamination. It is required that each home has:

  • A vacuum breaker on each outdoor spigot. These are inexpensive to purchase and available at most hardware stores.
  • A backflow preventer on the irrigation system. These must be tested annually by a licensed backflow prevention tester. Most irrigation companies can provide this service.

How can I get a copy of my neighborhood’s annual water quality report?

Water quality reports tell you where your water comes from and what our tests show about its quality. They are updated once a year.

How can I have my septic tank pumped out?

Contact a private sewer handler to have your septic tank pumped out every 5 years. For more information, view the septic pump-out page.