Get Involved...Upcoming Volunteer Events
County-wide School Supply Drive 2018
The Hanover Youth Service Council [HYSC] is coordinating its county-wide school supply drive. All supplies benefit Hanover’s elementary, middle, and high school students in need. This signature service project has been conducted by HYSC for the past 19 years.
This year, the drive is from July 16 through August 17th. In addition to donations through collection boxes, members will also conduct a live collection at the Kroger on 9351 Atlee Road in Mechanicsville on August 3rd from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
HYSC is collecting generic backpacks, composition books, supply boxes, 2-pocket folders, glue sticks, erasers, dividers, durable binders, supply boxes, pencil pouches, notebooks, hi-lighters, crayons, pencils, markers, colored pencils, loose leaf paper, scissors, sanitizing wipes, dry erase markers, hand sanitizer, tissues, index cards, and any other school supplies for all grade levels.
Donations can be dropped off at the follow locations:
- Ashland Library –201 S. Railroad Avenue
- Community Resources – 12310 Washington Highway
- Chenault Veterinary Center – 351 Hill Carter Parkway
- Ashland Christian Church- 301 S James St
- Mechanicsville Library – 7461 Sherwood Crossing Place
- Atlee Library –9161 Atlee Road
- Burkwood Swim& Racquet Club – 9120 Burkwood Club Drive
- Covenant Woods- 7090 Covenant Woods Drive
- Atlee Church- 7171 Verdi Lane
- Hanover County Administration Building – 7516 County Complex Road
- Hanover County Wickham Building- 7497 County Complex Road
- Hanover Library –7527 Library Drive
- Montpelier Library- 17205 Sycamore Tavern Lane
- Rockville Library– 16600 Pouncey Tract Road
Families needing school supplies for the coming school year should contact their school’s guidance counselor.
Congratulations to Hanover's 2018 Spirit of Volunteerism
Thanks to everyone who attended the 2018 Spirit of Volunteerism Celebration. 48 nominees were honored by the County Board of Supervisors.
This year's award recipients were announced in the following categories:
Spirit of Youth Award
Spirit of Dedication Award
Linda A Hultgren
Spirit of Family Award
Lee and Neal Hanchey
Spirit of Team Award
Night to Shine Team Hanover
Wings of Hope Ranch Volunteers
Spirit of One Award
Spirit of Inspiration Award
Commitment to Community Award
NO NOMINEES THIS YEAR
Special Thanks to our Award Sponsors: Rappahannock Electric Cooperative; Ashland Walmart; Copy Cat Printing; Covenant Woods; Grace Community Presbyterian Church; Hanover Chamber of Commerce; and Virginia Credit Union.
Learn more about a few of our volunteer positions
Serve on a Board of Supervisors Appointed Committee
Volunteer in Your Community
Need Volunteer Hours for Court?
- Youth (under 18): contact Juvenile Court Services Unit 804-365-6201
- Adults: contact Community Corrections and Pretrial Services
Need More Help?
Contact us at 804-365-4300 or by email.