Divorce suits are handled in the Circuit Court Clerk's Office Civil Division. You can check on the status of Hanover County divorce cases by visiting the Virginia's Judicial System Case Information website.

Getting Started

The Virginia State Bar publishes two pamphlets that can help you familiarize yourself with divorce in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Visit the Divorce in Virginia website and the Children and Divorce Virginia State Bar website to learn more of the information that's important to know.

Hiring a Lawyer

A person wanting to get divorced is not required to obtain the services of a lawyer, but lawyers commonly are employed. When deciding whether to hire a lawyer, remember that staff in the Clerk's Office cannot provide legal advice. Each person involved in a divorce suit should obtain independent legal advice. If you choose to represent yourself, you will be expected to follow the same procedures as an attorney. If you are unable to hire a lawyer, visit the Virginia State Bar's Resource website for the Public. This has information about finding a lawyer. Help may also be found through the Virginia Lawyer Referral Service 800-552-7977 (Statewide), 804-775-0808 (Richmond), Voice/Telecommunications Device for the Deaf 804-775-0502.

Divorce Actions

A divorce suit is started by filing with the clerk's office in person or by mail pleadings (commonly a Complaint) prepared in accordance with the Code of Virginia. View the Rules of the Virginia Supreme Court together with filing and service fees that can be determined by using Virginia's Judicial System Circuit Court Filing Fee Calculator or by calling the Civil Division at 804-365-6151. The clerk's office does not have court approved divorce forms.

Where to File

Divorce complaints sent by mail should be addressed to:
  • Hanover Circuit Court Clerk's Office
    Attention: Civil Division
    Post Office Box 39
    Hanover, VA 23069
By hand the complaints should be delivered to the clerk's office on:
  • Second Floor
    7530 County Complex Road
    Hanover, VA 23069
    Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Monday through Friday

VS-4 State Statistical Form & Hanover County Divorce Control Sheet

Before the court enters a final divorce decree, the party requesting the divorce must submit a completed VS-4 form that can be obtained from the clerk's office.

Scheduling a Hearing

You (if you are representing yourself) or your attorney may contact the Circuit Court Judge's office at 804-365-6161 to schedule hearings or trials. Please be sure to confirm that both you and the other involved party find the dates mutually agreeable. Trials and hearings can also be scheduled at docket call, which begins at 2 p.m. on term days. Term days are the third Tuesday of odd months (January, March, May, July, September, and November).

Obtaining Copies of Orders and Pleadings

The clerk's office sends copies of final decrees of divorce to the attorneys representing both parties. If a party is not represented by an attorney the final decree will be sent to him or her. You may request copies of orders or non-confidential pleadings by appearing in person or writing to:
  • Hanover County Circuit Court Clerk's Office
    Attention: Copies
    P.O. Box 39
    Hanover, VA 23069
Copies are 50 cents per page, and it costs $2 to certify a copy. The clerk's office accepts checks or money orders made payable to Hanover County Circuit Court Clerk.

Finding Information Identifying the Court Order

When you request a copy in person or online you will need identifying information such as the case number, order book and page number or the instrument number. Clerk's staff can help you find documents when you visit the clerk's office. For court orders entered after April 1, 2002 we may be able to help you find identifying information by phone at the numbers provided.