Concealed Handgun Permit
STATE OF EMERGENCY PROCEDURES:
FIRST TIME APPLICANTS: CALL 365-6147 or 365-6148 TO ARRANGE A SCHEDULED TIME TO VISIT THE CLERK’S OFFICE TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION.
PERMIT RENEWALS WILL BE HANDLED BY MAIL: DO NOT COME TO THE COURTHOUSE. FOLLOW “Process for Renewals” BELOW AND MAIL YOUR RENEWAL APPLICATION. QUESTIONS? CALL 365-6147 OR 365-7125.
- 21 years of age or older
First Time Applicants:
- Applicants submit the Application for Concealed Handgun Permit SP-248 (10-1-2017) (PDF) in person to the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the County or City in which they reside. Note: Members of the United States Armed Forces apply in the county or city of domicile.
- Bring one valid form of photo identification issued by a governmental agency of the Commonwealth, by the U.S. Department of Defense or the U.S. State Department (passport) when submitting the application
- Also bring proof of handgun competency, as required by the Code of Virginia.
- Payment of the $50 Application fee is due at the time of application submission. We accept cash, check, money order, or credit cards (VISA or MasterCard). There is an additional $2 fee for using a credit card. Payments in the form of check or money order should be made payable to Hanover County Circuit Court.
- Bring a self-addressed envelope for use in mailing your permit.
Process for Renewals:
- Persons who have previously held a concealed handgun permit submit the Application for Concealed Handgun Permit SP-248 (10-1-2017) (PDF) by mail or in person to the clerk of the circuit court in the county or city of residence.
- If the application is sent by mail, it must be accompanied by a photocopy of the applicant’s valid photo identification (Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.010) and a photocopy of the existing or expired permit.
- $50 Renewal application fee - If you wish to mail your application, we accept check or money order. If you wish to apply in person, we accept cash, check, money order, or credit card (VISA or MasterCard). Payments in the form of check or money order should be made payable to Hanover County Circuit Court.
- Please send a self-addressed envelope for use in mailing your permit
- Where can I find information about resident concealed handgun permits?
- How does a Hanover County resident apply for a concealed handgun permit for the first time?
- Is the process different for renewals, or if I have previously held a concealed handgun permit issued in the Commonwealth?
- Where do I submit my application?
- Where can I obtain a SP-248 application for concealed handgun permit?
- How can I demonstrate handgun competency?
- Do you have any pointers for completing the application?
- What happens after I submit the application for a concealed handgun permit?
- How do I obtain a revised permit if I change my address?
- How do I obtain a replacement Hanover County issued permit if mine is destroyed, lost or stolen?
Notice to Persons Convicted of Misdemeanor Crimes of Domestic Violence
The right to possess, ship, transport or receive any firearm or ammunition by a person convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence is limited by federal law. 18 U.S C. § 922 (g)(9) More information may be found by consulting the Federal Code or the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive website.