Adding In-Law Suite or Family Apartment

Can I Add an in-Law Suite or Family Apartment to My Property?

In many residential zoning districts, an apartment for a qualifying family member(s) is allowed with a Special Exception Permit (PDF). The apartment must be attached to the main house or attached to another building on the property, such as a garage. For more information, review the requirements for accessory family housing units in the Zoning Ordinance.

Return to FAQs.