Churches & Community Uses

Churches & Places of Worship

Churches and places of worship are permitted with a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) (PDF). The County Zoning Ordinance requires new churches and expansions of existing churches beyond 50 percent of the floor area (structural size as it existed on November 18, 1987) to obtain a CUP.

Community Uses

Other community uses, such as recreation centers, may also require a CUP (PDF) or a Special Exception (SE) (PDF). Check the zoning of the property to see if the proposed use is permitted or if a CUP or SE is required. For additional information, see the zoning ordinance.

Conditional Use Permit Uses

Uses that may require a CUP (partial list):
  • Cemeteries
  • Churches and places of worship
  • Fairgrounds or exposition centers
  • Farmers' markets
  • Hospitals or clinics
  • Institutions, educational or philanthropic, including museums, art galleries, and libraries
  • Landfill or trash collection sites
  • Meeting halls
  • Private clubs
  • Public or governmental buildings

Special Exception Uses

Uses that may require a SE (partial list):
  • Assisted living facilities for nine or more persons, not including caregivers
  • Children's residential facilities
  • Cemetery for pets
  • Convalescent homes, nursing homes, or homes for the aged
  • Day nurseries, child or adult day care centers

Forms & Documents