- Your Government
- Departments A-F
- Animal Control
- Lost, Found, & Stray Pets
Lost, Found, & Stray Pets
If Your Pet is Lost or Missing
- Come by the shelter during regular business hours.
- Call the Animal Control Office to file a missing pet report.
- Or Visit our pet search page.
If You Find a Pet
- Any individual who finds a companion animal and (i) provides care or safekeeping or (ii) retains the companion animal in such a manner as to control its activities shall within 48 hours:
- Make a reasonable attempt to notify the owner of the companion animal if the owner can be ascertained from any tag, license, collar, tattoo, or other form of identification or markings or if the owner of the animal is otherwise known to the individual; and
- Notify the public animal shelter that serves the locality where the companion animal was found and provide to the shelter contact information, including at least a name and a contact telephone number, a description of the animal, including information from any tag, license, collar, tattoo, or other identification or markings, and the location where the companion animal was found.
- If an individual finds a companion animal and (i) provides care or safekeeping or (ii) retains the companion animal in such a manner as to control its activities, the individual shall comply with the provisions of § 3.2-6503 .
- Any individual who violates this section may be subject to a civil penalty not to exceed $50 per companion animal.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- County license
- Owner's ID
- Photo of Pet
- Rabies certificate
- Show proof of ownership
- Vet Records
- $25 impound fee
- $5 each additional day of impoundment
- $10 additional for each re-occurrence within 12 month period
§ 3.2-6551. Notification by individuals finding companion animals; penalty.