Henrico Doctors’ Hospital Project
What does the County know about this project at this time?
- Hanover County has been approached by representatives of Henrico Doctor’s Hospital who shared interest in establishing an Ashland Hospital in the County.
- This project has not been submitted for zoning consideration at this time, therefore, full details of the project are pending and will be provided upon submission.
- On January 3, 2023, Henrico Doctors’ Hospital submitted an application for a Certificate of Public Need (COPN) to establish an Acute Care Hospital. Hanover County supports our residents access to additional health care resources and, therefore, submitted a letter indicating such. This is not a zoning determination. The zoning determination will undergo a formal process of citizen engagement and public hearings and will ultimately be given consideration of votes later in 2023.
- We respect the COPN process and the role of the Virginia Department of Health. The COPN process is independent of the local land use determination decided by the Hanover County Board of Supervisors.
- The time frames for both VDH’s consideration and the local land use/zoning processes will run concurrently.
- A copy of the COPN application will be published on this page once HCA submits a copy to the County.
What needs to occur for this project to move forward?
- It would be the goal of Hanover County to work with Henrico Doctors' Hospital and our citizens on this project through a significant local public input process as part of a comprehensive rezoning. This will include, but not be limited to, evaluations on traffic impacts, access reviews and mitigation strategies as identified, any known environmental impacts, and other concerns that are raised.
- A zoning application would need to be submitted to the County. The application would then begin the County's formal process which would include an additional community meeting, a public hearing with the Planning Commission, and a public hearing with the Board of Supervisors being required. This process is expected to take approximately 6 months after submission.
- The COPN would need to be approved by the Virginia Department of Health.
Where is the proposed location?
- The location for Ashland Hospital is just off of Exit 86 on Interstate 95, on Sliding Hill Road.
- Link to proposed location
What is the current zoning on the parcels identified today and what does the County’s Comprehensive Plan identify as future uses for this property?
- Zoning: A-1 and B-3
- Comprehensive Plan: Business-Industrial and Commercial
- The property identified is approximately 40 acres and has multiple zoning categories including A-1 and B-3. There could be a multitude of uses permitted by-right on these properties including, retail, distribution and heavy industrial. The initial phase would only utilize approximately 20 acres for the hospital though future plans call for additional healthcare facilities, though, at this time, those haven't been determined.
Has the County been approached for any incentives regarding this project?
- As of January 18, 2023, the County has not been approached about any incentives.
Related documents to this project
- Board of Supervisors Letter of Support for the COPN process
- Hanover County Fire Chief's Letter of Support
- Application for Certificate of Public Need
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Presentation made at 1-17-23 Community Meeting
- Community Meeting: On January 17, 2023, a community meeting was held at Chickahominy Middle School at 6:30 p.m. Approximately 55 people were in attendance, including citizens, County staff, elected officials and HCA staff. Below are links to information provided at the meeting.
- No other meetings are scheduled at this time.
What are the next steps?
- An in-person community meeting hosted by Henrico Doctors’ Hospital on the Ashland Hospital proposal will be held on Tuesday night, January 17, 2023 in the cafeteria at Chickahominy Middle School. The meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m.
- Certificate of Public Need (COPN) Request from the State Health Commissioner 2023.
- Future community and zoning related meetings and documents will be shared as they become available.