Parks and Recreation Master Plans identifies the recreational needs and interests, guide decision making and recommendations for future facility and programming needs, capture long-term maintenance impacts and costs associated with facility development and provide guidance for future capital funding requests.
Hanover County Parks and Recreation's most recent master plan was adopted in 2010. The department is seeking citizen input through this survey, community meetings and ongoing engagement to provide critical feedback to develop an updated Master Plan. This will feed Hanover County’s 25-year public facility master plan and the Comprehensive Plan.
The process of updating the department's Master Plan included the following phases:
- Inventory and analyze Parks and Recreation facilities
- Inventorying Parks and Recreation programs
- Seeking and evaluating community engagement
- Reviewing levels of service standards
- Develop recommendations for facility and program development
- Draft updated Parks and Recreation Master Plan
At each of the steps, department staff will provide updates and seek the endorsement of the Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission. Once the draft plan is endorsed by this Commission, that plan will be presented to the Facilities Committee, Planning Commission, and Board of Supervisors for adoption.
The community engagement phase will include two integrated approaches for collecting feedback: surveys and public meetings.
- Surveys can be completed online by following this link: https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6676357/Hanover-County-Parks-Recreation-Master-Plan-Survey.
- Paper copies of the survey can be obtained from the Parks and Recreation office during business hours or by contacting the office.
Public meetings will be held in-person and online in the coming months, following the selection and hiring of the Director of Parks and Recreation. Specific dates, times and locations will be listed once confirmed.