In April 2020, the U.S. Census Bureau conducted the decennial census, which provided a population count of all residents in Hanover County. Hanover had a 2020 population of 109,991. Based on this population count the County must apportion its Board of Supervisors magisterial (election) districts so that each district contains an equal portion of the County’s population. This is accomplished through Redistricting, which is the process of changing Board of Supervisor electoral districts and constituency boundaries. The U.S. Constitution requires that electoral districts be periodically adjusted or redrawn to account for population shifts; the Virginia Constitution mandates Redistricting by local governments every ten years. Counties therefore must implement redistricting in 2021.
Redistricting 2021 Proposed Amendment
The Virginia Supreme Court recently released their State Redistricting Plan. This Plan has some minor deviations from the Redistricting 2021 Plan adopted by the Hanover County Board of Supervisors in December 2021. Hence, minor modifications to the County’s Redistricting Plan must be made. A public hearing on these changes has been scheduled for Wednesday February 23, 2022.
Staff Recommended Redistricting 2021 Plan
- December 8 Public Hearing Presentation
- Redistricting 2021 Ordinance - Draft (PDF)
- December 8 Board Packet (Public Hearing)
- November 10 Board Presentation (contains final recommended Redistricting Plan)
- November 10 Board Packet (Staff Recommended Election District Changes) (PDF)
- Hanover County Election District Recommendations on-line application
- Hanover County Precinct and Polling Place Recommendations on-line application
- Overall Proposed County Redistricting Plan (PDF)
- Minority Comparison Data Set (PDF)
- Ashland Election District Changes
- Beaverdam Election District Changes
- Chickahominy Election District Changes
- Cold Harbor Election District Changes
- Henry Election District Changes
- Mechanicsville Election District Changes (precincts only)
- South Anna Election District Changes
Several resources have been provided below to educate and inform County citizens about this initiative. Additional materials will be posted over the next few months.
- Redistricting 2021 Overview
- County Attorney Memorandum to Board of Supervisors – Why redistricting is necessary/required
- September 8, 2021 Board of Supervisors update (includes time-line)
- Hanover 2020 Population Numbers by District
- Adopted Public Engagement Plan
- Existing election districts, precincts, and polling places
- Public Information Sessions
Public Meetings have been scheduled as follows. No formal presentations will be given at the meetings. The format is to drop in at any time during the scheduled event. Stations will be set up to review proposed maps.
- Monday October 25, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm at Patrick Henry High School
- Tuesday October 26, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm at Atlee High School
- Thursday October 28, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm at Hanover High School
- Wednesday November 3, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm at Mechanicsville High School
If you have comments about the Board of Supervisor Redistricting initiative, please fill out the on-line form.